Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Problem with Redheads

according to Tom Robbins' "Still Life with Woodpecker":

"The 12 Most Famous Redheads:
1. Lucille Ball, comedienne
2. Gen. George Custer, military maverick
3. Lizzie Borden, hatchetwoman
4. Thomas Jefferson, revolutionary
5. Red Skelton, comic
6. George Bernard Shaw, playwright
7. Judas Iscariot, informer .... aka, Judas Iscarrot-top
8. Mark Twain, humorist
9. Woody Allen, humorist
10. Margeret Sanger, feminist
11. Edna St. Vincent Millay, libertine poet
12. Bernard Mickey Wrangle, bomber
From this list, the analytically minded might conclude that persons with red hair tend to be either dangerous or funny."

"redheads are the result of sugar and lust"

after explaining the possible origin of Redheads:
"So redheads are either descendants of the demigods or are potential demigods. That's nice. I like that."

I like that, too, Tom.

I've decided to start dedicating an individual post to each book from now on. I rate 'Still Life with Woodpecker' an easy 10. Any book that successfully makes redheads out to be simultaneous outlaws and heroes, while claiming that Blondes are terrorists from the planet Argon is a winner with me. Tom Robbins is absolutely an absolutely hilarious genius. This is the first author I've thought I have to meet this person, hear them speak at a conference or somehow find an upcoming booksigning. He's also the only writer who has made me laugh out loud. I'll definitely be reading more of him.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Only author to make you laugh out loud? have you read any david sedaris? he might make you pee your pants.

Whit said...

Going on the list.